Monday, September 1, 2014

Speech Recognition

Language. Communication. Identity. Any sociologist could tell you they're related. And sometimes this language-learning thing I'm currently engaged in pinpoints something in life that's a little larger-scale.

So last night we were in the car, headed to our missions-themed church service, when I found another question to ask. I've had a lot of those lately as I tackle Spanish-- specifically the rapid-fire shortcut Spanish spoken here in the DR. Hearing and truly understanding is still my biggest battle, especially when it comes to specific expressions and idioms, whether they're de la calle (street slang) or campesino (lower register, from the country).

"Hey Conrado," I said. "I read a list of expressions this week that might be specifically Mexican. So do they say 'por si las moscas' here?" (Translated literally, it's "for if the flies," though it's used like "just in case.")

"Yeah, they use it here," Jhon said.

I could tell Conrado was frowning. "Yeah... but it's like street language, you know? You shouldn't use it. It doesn't sound right."

"Why not?" As far as I knew, the phrase was nothing obscene, just a local idiom.

"Because the kind of women who talk that way are callejeras," (meaning they hang out on the street all day) "and you're different. You're not like them. You're a daughter of God. Una princesa."

This made me think. Learning the slang and street-speak is actually pretty fun, but still. Think Professor Henry Higgins: From listening to you, an astute person can tell where you're from, your education level, the type of work you're involved in, who your parents were, what your values are, your social strata. 

I hadn't really considered that the language I choose to use actually depicts my identity in the kingdom of God. It identifies me to those I talk to as someone with grace or love, as someone who knows who she is, as someone with confidence in her identity-- or as none of those things. 
The mouth speaks what the heart is full of. (Lk. 6:45)
It's not a matter of pride, or of somehow trying to show I'm "better" than anyone else. There is value in using street-speak at times, to reach and relate with those who are there right now (or heck, to make jokes because it sounds silly when I talk that way with my gringo accent). Or from a spiritual perspective, to speak to those who may only hear words that are presented that way. But for me to adopt that kind of language as my own would be a contradiction and denial of my true self, and would negatively affect my potential efficacy. Take James 3:9-12, for example: 
With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.
If I have the authority of "royalty," choosing speech that can't convey or command that would be a serious error. If I am royalty and still speak as a (figurative) peasant, how am I identified as being different while I travel through this world, but still am not "of" it (Jn. 17:16)? 

What's the true language of our kingdom? Well, since God has put each of us in different places and created us with different strengths, your "royal speech" might sound pretty different from mine. But the language of God's kingdom will always share some strong common characteristics. 
  • Loving (1 Cor. 13:1-- If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.)
  • Life-giving (Prov. 18:21-- The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.)
  • Unconformed to worldly patterns (Rom. 12:1-2-- Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds.)
  • Discerning (Prov. 13:3-- Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.)
  • Reverent toward God (2 Tim. 2:16-- But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness.)
  • Truth-telling (1 Pet. 3:10-- Let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit.)
  • Blessing (Rom. 12:14-- Bless those who persecute you. Bless and do not curse.)
  • Edifying and encouraging (Eph. 4:29--Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.)
  • Self-controlled and not obscene (Col. 3:8-- But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.)
I'm sure I'm missing a few. Suggestions welcome!

Whatever language I'm speaking, it's got to be flavored by the language of the kingdom of God. So what do the words we choose, the idioms we employ, and the sentences we speak (whether in English, Spanish, street slang, country twang, or whatever language) say about who we are in Christ? What's the best way to keep that powerful tongue in check?

Other thoughts?

Kingdom people at a street outreach in Pueblo Nuevo, Santiago.

1 comments: