Thursday, October 15, 2015

Raindance

Even the slightest hint of rain gets me looking hopefully out windows these days. During a light sprinkle from a cloudless sky not too long ago, I convinced Nancy to brave the wetness to join me up on the roof (a favorite place of mine lately). The drops fell cool and refreshing on my skin, and together we saw both ends of a blazing rainbow in the distance on the golden horizon, our shared experience the pot of gold.

When it finally full-on rained, I dodged raindrops through the yard to run up onto the roof yet again and just soak it all in. I sloshed through puddles and turned my face heavenward, praying that it wouldn't relent until I was drenched clean through. And it didn't. Waves of raindrops blew over us on a persistent wind, trickling in rivulets down my arms and dripping off my hair. I found a puddle to perch on and sat there, a very very happy mess, smiling at the gift of a rainy day. 

I stayed until lightning streaked across the sky and I decided that being the tallest thing on a watersoaked roof was maybe not the most strategic position for survival. As I stayed low and darted for the stairs back down to earth, I heard a familiar whisper in the corner of my heart.

What if, every time you saw a remote possibility of getting drenched by my presence, a worship service or even just a few drops of my glory, you ran toward it with everything you are, hoping you will be completely soaked?

Only if we brave the droplets do we get the chance to be cleansed, which happens only if we saturate ourselves completely. Braving the rain gives us the opportunity to spot a rainbow, the promise of color to come.


0 comments: